Sport betting – Advantages and variants
When someone starts to devote special attention to online sport betting, the question of what advantages do online bets have over traditional betting shops is of high relevance. It is not just convenience that makes a bet on the Internet much more attractive than a visit to a betting office; after all, you can hand in your betting slip at any time conveniently from your PC, tablet or smartphone, saving yourself the sometimes tedious journey to the nearest betting shop.
There are also some other good arguments in favour of online sports betting compared to placing bets at the retail outlet:
- On the Internet you can compare the odds of different providers at any time and place your betting tips on the best available odds.
- The range of bets may be restricted at the betting shop of your choice, the complete selection of all online providers is available to you on the Internet.
- The particularly popular live bets require very quick decisions and are therefore only really sensible to process online.
- When it comes to sports betting on the Internet, you are not bound by any opening times and you can place your bets at any time around the clock.
Variants of online sport betting
There are at least six main type of online sport betting juxtaposed below.
- Three-way bet (1/0/2) on the outcome of the game, by far the most popular bet in most European (e.g., Germany) betting offices when it comes to football bets. With this type of bet you have to predict which team will win the game or whether the game will end in a draw. The three-way bet can be placed both as a single bet and as part of a combination bet or system bet.
- Handicap bets (outsiders with 1 or more goals ahead), the most popular special bet when it comes to football. Here the bookmaker gives the outsider a fictitious lead of one or more goals, this lead is then added to the actual result at the end. Particularly suitable for football games where there is a clear favourite with very low betting odds.
- Goal bets (How many goals over / under), as popular as the handicap bet. This betting variant is about predicting the number of goals. The bookmaker specifies a value (usually 2.5 goals for soccer games), the bettor can now guess whether the number of goals scored will be OVER or UNDER this value. So, either 0 to 2 goals, or 3 or more goals in the game.
- Result bets (exact game result), the exact result in a game is naturally not easy to predict due to the many possibilities, a correct tip is rewarded with very high betting odds.
- Double chance bets (two game outcomes in one bet) are also considered the sports bet for particularly risk-conscious bettors. Of three possible game results (1/0/2), two options can be covered with this type of bet. The hit rate with such a bet is comparatively high, but the betting odds are correspondingly low.
- Half-time bets (score or number of goals at half-time break), there are many different betting options for half-time bets – for all relevant betting tips, it is not the final result after 90 minutes that counts, but the respective score at half-time break after 45 minutes.
- Long-term bets (champions, relegated, promoted …), there are very diverse betting offers, but the respective result is only known after weeks, months or even years. Therefore, the betting turnover for long-term bets is also manageable, the share of the total turnover of the bookies is in the per thousand range. The only exception: at world championships or European championships, bets on the title winner are very popular with betting enthusiasts.
Then, choose carefully and be a passionate bettor in the spirit of sport.